The 2007 decision of the federal court barring the Long Island American Indian Tribe to go ahead with a casino in Southampton was set aside by the Second U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Monday with the remarks that the federal judge was not competent to give the verdict. In its 2-1 decision, the appeals court commented that Southampton Town and New York State should take up the case again and the case was referred to the state court.
Director of Communications for Shinnecock, Beverly Jensen expressed happiness over the decision and said that the tribe was grateful for the same. She added that they would again approach Governor (Andrew) Cuomo for discussions with the Nation to come to a favorable conclusion in the matter. The office was in the process of review of the decision, said a spokeswoman for Attorney General Eric Schneiderman; while no reply came from Mr. Cuomo’s office. Michael Cohen, the attorney of Southampton Town commented that decision is not disappointing and the matter is under study.
It was about ten years back when the site was being cleared and the tribe was asked to discontinue the development but it preferred to approach the federal court.
Joseph F. Bianco, the U.S. District Court Judge had commented that the tribe could not ignore the local as well as state building laws. The federal recognition was accorded to the tribe as back as in 2010 and it had been trying to build a casino and hotel. It was asserted by the appeals court that the issue involved state and town gambling & environmental regulations.
|Club USA Casino|
|Play Million Casino|
|Club USA Casino||9.37 / 10|
|Lucky Club Casino||9.8 / 10|
|Casino Grand Bay||9.23 / 10|
|Atlantis Gold Casino||9.32 / 10|
|Slotland Casino||9.58 / 10|